Stella Dog: Our Urban Homestead Mascot

Stella Dog: Our Urban Homestead Mascot

June 16, 2010

June Gloom & And Then There Were 3

In L.A. they call the foggy/smoggy gray days in June the "June Gloom", and Portland has been majoring in June Gloom weather this month.  Which means the garden is growing slowly this year, and we're being forced to practice patience.

We also had a gloomy week in the chicken coop, because we had to say goodbye to one of our little birds. Polly, renamed Paulie, started crowing... It started off as a strange broken car alarm yelp of a noise, and within four days was nearing full on rooster crow. The mad search to find a new home ended with me having to scoop Paulie into a wire cage for the man who was taking him off to... well, I don't know what his plans for him were.

It was an interesting moment. On the one hand, I wanted to know where he was going. Because I picked him out when he was two days old and taught him how to drink, and watched him grow into a chicken. On the other hand, I knew I couldn't keep him and whatever his fate had to re-home him.  I also eat meat, and that added an additional element of "I need to be ok with whatever he is going to do with him". So I didn't ask.

I can only assume he was not planning to keep him as a pet, but who knows. He was a pretty rooster and maybe he is off to father dozens of other pretty chickies.

So now there are three chickens in our coop. And they are all thrilled to run around the yard and trample the garden if I don't chase them away quickly enough. The two thirds of the yard that are open to trampling don't interest them nearly as much as those baby plants behind the poor excuse for a fence.

Photos to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment